Keeping your health top of mind is an essential part of being a successful person. While there are many different ways to track our health, the most effective way is by taking actionable steps.
By being proactive, you can not only ensure that you have the best chance of staying healthy but also make important lifestyle changes that will keep you going for years to come.
You see, each time we forget to exercise or eat right we put ourselves at risk for a whole host of other problems. So how do you find and fix underlying health issues so that you can live a healthy life? Let’s take a look at the top 5 ways to do just that.
Take Care of Your Mind and Body
As great as it is to take care of your body, it’s just as important to take care of your mind. After all, you can’t make healthy choices if you’re either mentally unwell or sleep-deprived. That’s why it’s critical to maintain your mental health and Well-Being by taking care of yourself both physically and mentally.
Exercise – Whether it’s a quick walk around the block or a full-blown gym session, exercise is a proven way to help with mood, increase focus and generally feel better. If you don’t exercise, you’re putting yourself at a higher risk of major health problems. So, find a way to make it a regular part of your life and you’ll feel so much better!
Get Enough Sleep – We know it’s tempting to “grab a coffee” or “go to sleep” when you’re exhausted, but getting enough sleep is crucial to staying healthy and happy. We get enough sleep for 5-6 hours, but often don’t get enough time in the day – even when we think we do. So, make an extra effort to get enough shut-eye and you’ll feel so much better.
Find a Healthy Diet That You Want To Consistently Practice
We all want to eat healthy, but how do you know which foods are right for you and which ones aren’t? Thankfully, there’s an easy way to find out – by looking in the mirror. Look at the person you see staring back at you. Does that look feel right to you? Because if not, you need to re-examine your diet.
If you were to carefully examine the foods that the average American eats, you’d probably be surprised by just how much sugar is found in our diets. The difference is that while sugar is bad for your health, grains are not only bad but also have been proven to be bad for your gut. Thus, you’re likely to gain weight on grains, and gain weight you don’t want to. Bottom line: Pick your foods carefully.
Find a Way To Exercise That You Want To Consistently Practice
It’s easy to forget about exercise when you’re busy or stressed out. But, doing so can have a huge impact on your health and well-being. How so? Let’s take a look.
Exercising regularly can:
– Help to maintain your weight
– Reduce the risk of developing heart disease
– Improve your mental health
– Help to keep your muscles from getting weaker
– Prevent conditions like cancers, heart disease and strokes
– Help to keep your bones healthy
– Help to regulate your body’s internal temperature
– Decrease your risk of developing diabetes
– Prevent joint pain
– Improve your memory
– Prevent cognitive decline
– Help to keep your skin, hair and nails healthy
– Help to regulate blood pressure
– Prevent muscle spasms
– Prevent or reduce the effects of stroke
– Help to maintain your vision
– Help to protect your bones from osteoporosis
– Prevent falls
– Prevent fractures
– Prevent or decrease the effects of alzheimer’s disease
– Prevent or lower the risk of heart disease
– Prevent or lower the risk of metabolic diseases
– Prevent or lower the risk of certain cancers
Track Your Nutritional Data
You might have heard that nutrition is king. But is it really? What about protein, vitamins and minerals? Are they more important than calories? Here’s the scoop:
– A balanced diet should include a variety of foods from both plant and animal sources. – A healthy diet should include protein at every meal.
– Carbohydrates should make up only a portion of your daily caloric intake.
– Vitamins and minerals are important, but they come in a dish or as a chelated form which must be consumed in high amounts to prevent negative side effects.
– What we put into our bodies affects how quickly and efficiently our bodies can get rid of it. – Many foods have nutritional values that can be valuable additions to your daily diet.
– Nutrient content varies depending on where the food comes from.
– A balanced diet should include at least 10% of your daily calories from fat.
– The amount of fat you consume should be limited, considering that it’s highly inflammatory. – Essential fatty acids (EFA’s) come in the form of omega-3’s and omega-6’s.
– There are large amounts of sodium in most processed foods. – Artificial sweeteners are thought to be harmful.
– Many processed foods have no nutritional value. – Sugar has been proven to be harmful, so it should be limited in your diet.
– Sodium should make up only a small portion of your daily caloric intake. – Alcohol is a clear No-No.
Make Smart Food Choices
We all know that a balanced diet is important, but exactly how much fruit, vegetables and whole grains you should be eating is up for debate. While it’s good to consume a variety of fruits and vegetables, it’s also important to make smart food choices.
Here are 5 ways to do just that.
– Read Food Labels – Labels on processed foods tell you how much sugar, sodium, fat and other nutrients are in each serving.
– Watch Out For Artificial Ingredients – Artificial sweeteners and coloringants are not healthy for you and can lead to certain health problems.
– Look For Natural Alternatives – Many natural alternatives are just as healthy as their processed counterparts.
– Make Use Of Produce From Your Garden – Produce from your own backyard is an important part of a healthy diet.
– Consume A Small Portion Of Each Food Group – Consuming a small portion of each food group will help you get the most nutritional benefit from each food.
– Make Repetitive Exercises A Part Of Your Daily Routine – Exercising has been proven to boost your brain’s health and improve your memory.
Learn About The Importance Of A Healthy Environment
– Outdoor Activities – Outdoor activities are a great way to get fresh air and exercise.
– Indoor Activities – Indoor activities can help you maintain a healthy body, mind and spirit.
Take Care Of Yourself – physically, mentally and emotionally
– Get Plenty Of Rest – Getting plenty of rest will help you feel more relaxed and less stressed.
Learn About The Benefits Of Relaxation
– Learn How To Relax Your Body – There are many ways to relax your body, including yoga, breathing exercises, massages, exercise and meditation.
– Learn How To Relax Your Mind – There are many ways to relax your mind, including structured meditation techniques, guided imagery and prayer.
– Learn How To Relax Your Spirit – There are many ways to relax your spirit, including prayer, mindfulness and visualization.
Learn About The Importance Of Good Nutrition In A Healthy Lifestyle
– Understand What Food Does For You – Food provides us with energy and nutrients that our body needs to function properly.
– Understand What Is In Your Food – Make sure that the food you eat is healthy by checking the nutritional facts label on the package.
Conclusion – How to Find and Fix Underlying Health Issues
– Understand The Importance Of A Healthy Lifestyle – A healthy lifestyle will help you live longer, feel better and reduce your chances of developing serious health problems.
– Understand What Is Causing Your Health Issues – You can find the underlying cause of your health issues by taking a good history and doing a thorough physical exam.
– Understand How To Fix Your Health Issues – A good doctor can help you fix your health issues by providing you with the proper treatment plan.