Table of Contents
The Top-Rated Nootropic Supplements of 2023
One of the most popular supplement categories today is focused on brain and memory health. These kinds of supplements are called nootropics, and they seek to improve memory, focus, mental energy, and problem-solving skills.
The demand for nootropics comes not only from the 73 million baby boomers living in America but also college students, investment bankers, career-minded individuals to even busy moms all looking to gain an edge.
The popularity has led to hundreds of nootropic supplements flooding the marketplace. While these supplements all promise to deliver benefits, the reality is that many fall short. Some of the most popular brands use ineffective or insufficient doses of ingredients, and many contain low-quality fillers.
With so many options, it seems many of us might still be unclear about what to look for in a quality brain and memory supporting supplement. To help cut through the clutter, we have compiled months of research about which are the key ingredients that have been shown in studies to benefit your cognitive health.
This short guide will help you know what to look for and what to avoid so you can make an informed decision when it comes to your nootropic needs. We will also list out the top 5 nootropic supplements sold today.
Let’s take a moment to understand precisely how nootropics work to improve your cognitive health and why it’s essential to add it to your daily routine.
Nootropics: What Are They All About?
Good Nootropic Helps To:
- Improve Memory
- Promote Focus and Alertness
- Enhance Learning
- Support Verbal Recall
- Support Analytical Thinking
- Boost Mental Energy
- Enhance Creativity
- Reduce Stress
- Fight Cognitive Decline
Top 3 Criteria For A Quality Nootropic Supplement
We spent months researching nootropic supplements and gathering user feedback. There are specific ingredients that, when present in a formula, help differentiate high-quality nootropic supplements from generic ones. Below are the three most essential ingredients to consider before deciding on which nootropic brand is best for your needs.
- #1 Phosphatidylserine: Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid nutrient, found in the cerebral cortex, which covers and protects brain cells and helps carry messages between them. The normal aging process causes brain cell membranes to become rigid, impairing brain cell communication, which results in memory recall issues. Studies show that supplementing with phosphatidylserine can improve memory function, especially delayed recall, in both middle-aged and older adults. It works by helping rejuvenate brain cell membranes and supporting the release of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter responsible for memory.
- #2 Bacopa Monnieri: Bacopa monnieri is an herb used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine. Numerous clinical studies found that Bacopa monnieri enhances memory retention, improves spatial learning, the ability to take in new information about one’s environment, and reduces stress. Scientists found that Bacopa monnieri increases the length and branching of nerve cells, also known as dendrites, in the brain, which is linked to learning and memory. The main active compounds in Bacopa monnieri are bacosides, which also fight oxidative stress, a cause of disease and cognitive decline, by acting as a free radical scavenger.
- #3 Huperzine A: Huperzine A, an extract of the Huperzia serrata plant, has been shown in studies to improve memory and learning from young students to seniors. Recent research shows that it improves memory and slows cognitive decline by increasing levels of acetylcholine, the compound that functions as a neurotransmitter in the brain. It’s also been shown to help prevent neuronal cell death. Twenty randomized clinical trials involving 1823 participants indicated that it has a beneficial effect on memory, cognitive function, and quality of life.
4 Things To AVOID
When Buying A Nootropic Supplement
1. Formulas Lacking Essential Vitamins
The brain needs a steady supply of neuro-vitamins and nutrients so it can function properly. Avoid any formula which does not include a complex of B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium, choline, and zinc.
2. Not Backed By A Doctor
Creating an effective nootropic supplement requires a solid understanding of which ingredients to use and in what level of potency. Avoid a brand which is not supported by a credible doctor.
3. Insufficient Return Policy
A reputable nootropic supplement brand will demonstrate they have faith in their product by offering a 100% money-back guarantee policy. Some try to complicate their refund policies by placing limitations on what kind of returns they will take. Avoid any brand that does not have at minimum a no questions asked 90-day money-back guarantee.
4. Depending on Amazon Reviews
Research showed that in March 2019, there were 1.8 million new unverified reviews, with an average of 99.6% of them being 5-star reviews. Most of these reviews are from people paid to write them. These fake reviews inflate the number and overall star rating of a product. When deciding on a supplement that can impact your health, don’t rely on Amazon reviews as they can be extremely misleading.
Top-Rated Nootropic Supplements
Our review encompassed 89 different nootropic supplements, putting each through our rigorous assessment process. To determine 2023’s Top 5 Nootropic Supplements, we look for predicted effectiveness, supporting studies, safety, pricing, return policy, and overall customer satisfaction.
Only at $49/Bottle
- Enhances memory and learning abilities
- Improves overall brain performance
- Creates new neural connections
- Reduces stress and prevents depression
- Improves mood and creativity
- Cognistrong™is a popular brain boosting supplement, specially formulated for people who are facing cognitive decline.
- It is an effective and best formula to boost brain performance. It is a 100% natural formula designed to repair your brain, regain memory and protect your mind.
- Memo Defend is a nutritional supplement marketed to older adults dealing with dementia, degenerative brain disease, and memory loss.
- Control Blood Pressure levels
- Help with anxiety and insomnia
- Eliminates Brain fog
- This doctor-formulated supplement brings to life the stunning secret of Albert Einstein’s unique brain chemistry. Brain C-13® uses natural herbs & minerals that support brain chemistry, like Einstein’s, to protect against age-related mental decline.
- Contains a potent serving of saffron
- Contains a potent dose of Huperzine-A
- Supports a happy mood and quick thinking†
Memo Max Pro
- Supports high cognitive ability, focus, concentration, and mental clarity.
- May work to overcome dementia, Parkinson’s, and other memory-related disorders.
- Restores memory and helps users remember the names and other items in just a few weeks.